Sunday, October 10, 2010

Greetings from Menomonee Falls!

First off, I apologize for my "radio silence" for the past few days, but this has been a whirlwind weekend! You're probably thinking that I have a friend on the inside, but I assure you, I do not, I ended up in the cheese state purely by coincidence! Menomonee is a beautiful suburb of Milwaukee, and it is home to some of the most courteous cab drivers on earth in my humble opinion (IMHO). I arrived late Friday afternoon and immediately checked into the Washington House Inn, a quaint bed and breakfast right on the outskirts of town. I have to admit, I was a little ticked off when I first rolled into town. I was quite enjoying Hershey, and I was not thrilled about the fact that corporate wouldn't spring for me to stay in proper Milwaukee, let alone a true motel. Apparently, the B&B was the only place in town with occupancy, and to further complicate matters, upon checking in I discovered an interracial couple was also staying on my floor. Not one to rock the boat, I bit my lip, but believe you me, I breathed a sigh of relief when they checked out the following day.

Now, I know I rarely mention politics, and that's mostly because you and I do not see eye-to-eye on most issues, but I did attend a political rally while in town. Fortunately for me, some prominent politicians were in town to protest a matter I feel strongly about, the repeal of the 23rd amendment. Despite the fact that Glen Beck bowed out at the last minute, the "Flush the Twenty Turd" rally was a huge success, and I believe it may have caught the attention of Washington "insiders." Forgive me while I stand on my soap box, but I have long felt that the District of Columbia has no place in the electoral college, and I will express my God-given right to say so.

After the rally, I spent Saturday evening at the Menomonee Film Festival. Many of the films were inspiring, but none more so than the documentary Who Cut the Cheese? by Kevin Moore (Micheal's nephew). This film was a rare glimpse into the illegal culturing of bovine-dairy products, and I have to say, it was a real eye-opener. Speaking of cheese, boy did I go cheese sampling! Happy cows may come from California, but delicious cheese is 100% Wisconsin! Ha! First thing Sunday morning, I set out for a cheese tour of the county. My cabbie/ tour guide, Rory (a young man fulfilling community service obligations by order of a local magistrate) informed me that this is known among industry insiders as "cheese dickin'", so I'm fairly certain I know what we will be doing next time I'm in the Bay area!

All in all this has been a great weekend, and I highly recommend you try to visit America's Dairyland (trademark). Well, I hate to end things so abruptly, but I've got an early morning flight tomorrow, and you know what they say: early bird catches the worm! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment