Sunday, October 10, 2010

Greetings from Albuquerque!

Hello David!

Well, you never know when corporate is going to swing down their golden hammer, do you?! Two days ago I was writing to you from flood-ravaged North Carolina, and today I'm in the great state of New Mexico! The timing couldn't be better, as I'm sure you are well aware that the America's Challenge gas hot-air balloon race kicks off here in a few days. While the tone of this year's race will be somewhat muted due to the unfortunate accident involving two American balloonists off the Italian coast, I understand it will be quite an impressive event.

I've only been here for a full day, but so far I am most intrigued by The Land of Enchantment. The folks that run the La Quinta where I am staying are most hospitable, but the same cannot be said for the young Algonquins who loiter in the alley below my room. One of them has anointed me with a traditional tribal name, and has taken to calling me the "Tuna Banger" whenever I walk by. While the name is a kind act of hospitality, his behavior is slightly concerning. Around 9 pm last night, after I unpacked, I left my room to grab a sammy at a cantina across the street. I was just finishing my dinner and cherry cola, when this teenager ("Conchito," they call him) slide into the booth across from me, asking if I would like a mustache ride. Assuming this was a local attraction, I agreed, and after paying the bill and leaving a 3% tip, I followed Conchito out. It quickly became apparent that this hoodlum had something quite risque on his mind, and I high-tailed it out of there.

Despite the setback, I believe I will enjoy my time here is the most arid state of the continental US. Well, I better hit the road, Jack. I've got to swing by a satellite office and ensure that middle management is properly implementing the new HAT program. You know what they say about middle management: not quite sharp enough to make it to the top!

I'll keep in touch,
"Tuna Banger" of the Southwest

No comments:

Post a Comment