Monday, October 25, 2010

Greetings from Solvang!

Hey Dave!

Talk about your good fortune, corporate has sent me to Little Denmark! But it's not all good news I have to report...

It finally happened. I knew all of this travel would catch up with me, and sure enough...bed bugs! I woke up itching in the middle of the night and, after ruling out my eczema, I realized I had bites all over me. I knew I shouldn't have stayed at a Comfort Inn with the Armenian manager! He was trying to sell me on all sorts or bells and whistles (pool view, extra hand towels, covered parking) but I'm no push over! I'm not going to let these wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am types walk all over me, especially not when corporate is projecting record low returns next fiscal quarter!

Solvang is everything I hoped it would be and more! It's a shoppers paradise, and the Danish theme is strikingly authentic. The knickknacks are unrivaled, and though the prices are a little steep, the craftsmanship is tremendous. I'm willing to pay full price after learning the hard way that a good price isn't always worth the trouble. Yesterday, I was scrolling through the local Craigslist listings, looking to finagle some Danish steals and deals, when I ran across a bargain to good to be passed up. After driving almost an hour out of town to meet a porcelain collector, Rex,  I was greeted at the front door of his residence, only to learn that he and I have very different definitions of "Danish Starfish." I mean, cheese and rice, put your pants on, buddy! Ha!

Like I said before, all this time on the road has started to take a bit of a toll on me, and I really need to start taking better care of myself. The other day I developed a large canker sore on my upper lip because the wire from my braces was poking out. I knew I needed to get it taken care of right away, I mean, I haven't seen a herpes like this since I accompanied my friend Lilith on her Rumspringa! The orthodontist I visited, Dr. Mike was very professional, and though he only had child-sized exam chairs, he was able to fix the wire. From now on, I'm going to try to take a little "me time" each day, to get my synergy back on track.

Well, I've got to get a presentation together for tomorrow's breakout session. It should be an exciting day: we are aligning our 3rd quarter business decisions with our strategic plan. Want to be prepared so I don't look like a monkey. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment